Sunday, May 19, 2013

10 Biggest Book Adaptation Flops

I can't help but repost this. Publishers Weekly recently did a list of the biggest flops out there when it came to film adaptations of books. And yes, Battlefield Earth was on there. That was actually my litmus test. Travolta took what was a classic of science-fiction dystopian novels (at least in my opinion), took it home, got it drunk, filmed himself pulling a Deliverance on the book, and then left its beaten and half-dead body in a back alley. Then he subjected the movie-going public to whatever was left of the book and the film he got the night before. Yeah. Not a fan of the movie. I might have liked it more if I hadn't read the book almost religiously as a teen, I might have been a little more forgiving.

In any case, here are the ten biggest book adaptation flops per Publishers Weekly:

10. John Carter
9. Atlas Shrugged I, II, (and probably III)
8. Bonfire of the Vanities
7. Around the World in 80 Days
6. The Scarlet Letter (Demi Moore's version)
5. All the King's Men
4. Sphere
3. Gods and Generals
2. Pinnochio
1. Battlefield Earth

Further reading:

*10 Biggest Book Adaptation Flops

No comments:

Post a Comment