Friday, June 15, 2012

My Heather Graham addiction and me

I ended up requesting the next Heather Graham book from Netgalley recently, The Uninvited. (And book two, The Unspoken.)

Now I know what you're thinking. Some of you might be wondering why I keep requesting her books since I keep stating that I'm disappointed by her latest work or some other less than glowing remark. My answer? I honestly don't know.

I chalk part of this up to morbid curiosity of "how bad could it get" (although normally I reserve that line of thinking for Laurell K Hamilton books), but most of it's a mixture of my inner HG fangirl and the lure of some really, really good book blurbs. (The following is for The Uninvited.)

1777: In the throes of the Revolutionary War, Landon Mansion is commandeered by British Lord “Butcher” Bedford. He stabs Lucy Tarelton – who spurned his king and his love – leaving her to die in her father’s arms. Now: After the day’s final tour, docent Allison Leigh makes her rounds while locking up…and finds a colleague slumped over Bedford’s desk, impaled on his own replica bayonet. Resident ghosts may be the stock-in-trade of stately Philadelphia homes, but Allison – a noted historian – is indignant at the prospect of “ghost hunters” investigating this apparent murder. Agent Tyler Montague knows his haunting and his history. But while Allison is skeptical of the newcomer, a second mysterious murder occurs. Has “Butcher” Bedford resurfaced? Or is there another malevolent force at work in Landon Mansion? Wary, yet deeply attracted, Allison has to trust in Tyler and work with him to discover just what uninvited guest – dead or alive – has taken over the house. Or their lives could become history!

Doesn't that sound fun in a "Scooby-Doo formula mystery you read on the beach" sort of way? In any case, this made me wonder why so many of us keep reading authors long after we've reached the point of "this author is awful now".

No comments:

Post a Comment