Saturday, May 28, 2011

Book Review: Ascendant by Diana Peterfreund


Title: Ascendant (Killer Unicorns #2)
Author: Diana Peterfreund
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 09/28/2010
ISBN: 0061490024








After finishing this book I'm more convinced than ever that HarperTeen needs to put out another book in this series. (As of this review there's technically no other books under contract, but hopefully that will change!)

There's a lot to love in this book. Not only do we have the wonderful idea of killer unicorns but we're beginning to see that all is not hunky dory in Astrid's world. She's just now beginning to discover the true drawbacks of the profession of unicorn hunting. She can have a boyfriend but she can't sleep with him. Going out in public means that she'll constantly be at risk of unicorn attacks & now that the world is fully aware of the unicorn threat, Astrid feels more alone than ever. I really feel that Peterfreund did a good job of illustrating Astrid's confusion, so it really made sense when offered a cushy position later in the book.

Unfortunately some will be a little frustrated at the ending of this book. While there's enough wrapped up to where it can suffice as an ending if no more books are forthcoming, there's still more than enough unresolved plot elements to frustrate people. (Although if there are more books then this was an excellent way to leave the second volume.)

I'm really loving this series so I truly hope that we get more books to the series. There's potential for not only 1-2 more books of Astrid but also prequels detailing the life of previous unicorn hunters.

5 out of 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. I will have to invest in it. Killer Unicorns heh.

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda love the idea of killer unicorns, but at the same time I don't know how seriously I can take killer unicorns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit skeptical too, but trust me- it's incredibly cool. I can't believe that we don't know if there's going to be a third volume anytime soon! I need to know how it all ends!!!!

    ReplyDelete