Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review: Confessions of a D-List Supervillain


Title: Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
Author: Jim Bernheimer
Publisher:
CreateSpace
Release Date:
04/28/2011
ISBN: 1461084741







If you’ve ever watched a superhero movie or read the comics, you’ll know that the villains usually make the piece. You can’t have a good hero without a good villain & some of my favorite heroes are the ones who had a bit of a dark past. (Gambit FTW!) This book takes a look into the life of a lower ranking villain, giving us a book that’s several flavors of awesome.

Where do I start on what I liked about this book? I loved how the book started off with action, yet still gave us a good look into the minds of the characters. It made me think of the book Soon I Shall Be Invincible, which I liked but wished it had a little more action to it. This book delivers the adventure in spades, which (let’s be honest) is what draws so many of us to the superhero genre. If I wanted to see a bunch of heroes doing nothing but spouting exposition I’d re-watch Ang Lee’s Hulk.

The pacing of the book moves pretty quickly, which works well for it for the most part. The only flaw I really saw in the book was that at times I wanted a little more of everything & I felt that the ending was a little too rushed. I just felt like it could have been fleshed out a little & more could have been done with it.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book & I can’t wait to read more of Bernheimer’s work. This is a great read for both the casual & the more die-hard fans of the superhero genre. I honestly can’t understand why Bernheimer hasn’t had his big break yet. This was an awesome read.

4.5/5 stars!

(Reader Copy provided by the author)

No comments:

Post a Comment