Monday, August 13, 2012

Living Classics: Amazon does Facebook

If you're the social media sort and like Amazon, odds are you've already heard of their foray into facebook games. If you're like me and generally only muck about with a certain set of games, this will be news to you.

The title of the game is Living Classics and it's essentially a spin on the whole picture searching game. Your goal is to not only locate some missing foxes, but you've also got to find which parts of the picture move and click on them. The images don't all move at the same time, so you'll have to watch carefully for movement. Clicking the wrong things will cause you to achieve fewer points, clicking accurately and quickly will get you more. This is actually fairly standard and it's simple to dive into. You don't have to rely on uber-quick reflexes or learn a lot of rules, which is a bonus.

The artwork for the game is decent enough. I've seen better out there, but it's bright and colorful, which should attract the younger gamers. I'm including a screenshot of the artwork for one of the main characters as well as a sample of some of the artwork from the gameplay.



I have to say that I was slightly disappointed by the game play. It's entertaining enough, but it's not as addicting a time waster as I'd wanted it to be. It's a little too overly easy, which I think might be because Amazon wants to market it to all age groups, including the kids who get on their parents' accounts to play games. (Or just log onto their own. There's no obvious marketing so far, so I don't think that parents will mind overly much.) In all fairness I've only started playing, but it took me almost no time to find all of the foxes.

For Amazon's first game, it's not bad. It's just not really all that enticing either. I'll keep playing a little longer to give it more time to grow on me, but I'm predicting that this might end up getting shelved as a novelty, with newer or more established games taking central focus. Unless you manage to get a foothold on the audience ala Farmville, most people tend to play a game for a little while and then move on to the next new game that catches their attention. 

Further reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment